Technology has a tremendous influence on life and education. And virtual learning has revolutionized the traditional education methods used in schools and colleges.
Earlier, physical presence was mandatory in all university lectures. Today, however, you can attend your classes online. Students from any corner of the world can avail of these lessons on their laptops, computers even smartphones!
Online training is a booming industry. And university professionals are looking for virtual instruction and getting updated with their careers.
By 2023 online learning is much expected to drive revenue of 240 billion dollars.
Advantages of online classes in the lockdown?
We are all going through a tough time in this lock-down. Staying indoors is the new normal, as all forms of social contact is restricted.
And students are taking the worst hit, as university classes remain suspended for an indefinite time. Students are losing precious time, unable to plan their career because of a pandemic.
Schools and colleges remain closed, as health and public safety takes precedence. This has led to a lot of physical and psychological challenges.
If there is a long gap in learning, chances are that students might get off track and lose focus. Without regular classes, it is easy to fall prey to tardiness. Online classes are the need of the hour, saving both students and teachers a lot of time.
Note: Not all schools and colleges are offering online education. However, you can always opt for online courses. Here are some perks that you get when you enrol in a virtual class.
- As you will be taking classes online, you will not have direct contact with other people. Social distancing can be maintained.
- Most online classes are free, unless you are looking for an advanced certification course.
- You can study whenever you want! Most online training programs are accessible 24*7, with recorded videos/lectures for future reference.
Virtual learning is convenient for both teachers and students. You can access classes anytime, anywhere be it in a cafe or your bedroom. All you need is a steady internet connection.
When you opt for virtual education, it saves time and travel expenditure. You can utilize this time to more productive activities instead.
In the IT field, global certification is essential for career growth. IT-related courses give you a chance to interact with global industry experts. The online training programs are a mix of both theoretical and practical sessions for better insights.
How are online classes conducted?
Schools and colleges use a platform called LMS (aka. Learning Management System) to manage the online courses. LMS is a virtual portal where students can view syllabus, talk to teachers, get assignments and support services.
LMS is portable and accessible on phones and tabs as well. It is far easier to complete assignments this way. The assigned work will be uploaded in LMS by students after completion.
However, not all schools and colleges work on LMS. Some institutions prefer conducting classes through skype or zoom classes. These sessions are not prerecorded, and must be conducted live. Teachers have the option of recording live classes for future reference.
2. Wide range of courses accessibility
You can select from a wide range of courses online. Some commonplace assessments for respective subjects you can expect yourself to work on in the University are: Science assignments, Maths Coursework, programming projects, marketing assignments and web development projects.
Anyone can apply for an online course in their area of interest. There is no eligibility criteria for most training programs. For students, it is always better to spend time on useful knowledge building. It is a great addition to your CV and improves career prospects tenfold.
Here are some of the online learning sites for students:
- Coursera is one of the trending online learning websites that provide a vast number of courses. Cousera collaborates with many international universities to come up with great topics for learning. Students mostly opt for certificate courses.
- Edx provides free online learning to students. Here, you can find interesting quizzes and discussion boards. The team of teachers cover maths, science and engineering courses from various institutions.
- Udemy is providing some of the top courses, taught by industry experts. The range of subjects available are a combination of free and paid topics. You can opt for free classes, demo lectures etc. before subscribing to the services.
- Khan Academy is for post and secondary school students. They offer a good depth of informative topics.
- Ted-Ed provides general content for online learning. Students can check out the motivational and animated videos to understand things better. A latest addition of online quizzes and puzzles is becoming increasingly popular as well.
3. Less Cost
When we had a discussion with assignment expert Jane, we got to know that students in the UK, who plan for on-campus education will be paying for hostel and food as well. As an academician by passion, Jane delivers online sessions at Expert Assignment Help (UK), helping students with writing their essays and assignments.
Textbooks and other study materials would be an added cost for college students. With online learning, you cut down on all these expenses.
Online classes also save you the time and expense otherwise wasted in commuting to the university. Plus, in E-learning programs, you have e-books, journals and video tutorials, most of which is available for free.
And in case, you don’t find a free version, opt for rental ebooks that cost you a lot less. I recommend students to rent ebooks on Amazon, as they have some of the best deals.
4. Better focus and interaction opportunities
Have you ever dozed off in the middle of a class? Do you often have trouble focusing on what the teacher is saying? Is it difficult to clarify your doubts in a packed classroom?
E-learning helps you stay focused on the subject. You can learn at your own pace and ask questions on the spot. Most online training programs are designed for beginners, so the curriculum is very user-friendly and easy to complete.
Challenges you face in online learning?
Online learning does come with its fair share of downsides. Here are a few challenges people face when they think of virtual training.
- Essential computer skills are necessary for online learning. The user must know how to log in, how to submit completed assignments and communicate online.
Solution: Make sure the online classes you are opting for have a customer support team. You can reach out to them via phone, email and live chat.
- Technical issues like weak internet connection, laptop malfunction, online threats etc. are serious concerns. This might lead to audio lags, screen freezes and more.
Solution: Ensure that you have a steady internet connection via either LAN or high-speed Wi-Fi.
- Time management would be a hurdle for many as they have to juggle between classes, jobs and personal commitments.
Solution: Create a timetable or to-do list, to keep track of your daily activities. Divide the important tasks into smaller achievable goals to get more work done in a day.
- Most students find it exhausting to sit in front of the computer and attend an online class. Some courses might also be a bit difficult for you to understand.
Solution: Before training starts, go through previous lessons to prepare for the upcoming class topics. Also, take frequent breaks in-between to stay refreshed.
5. Availability and access
In school or colleges after classes, teachers vacate as the period gets over. And in most cases, the students cannot reach out to their professors after the lecturer.
In some cases, the student might feel uncomfortable in approaching the teacher with a doubt in front of the class. In other cases, the teacher might rush through the syllabus, leading to more complications.
Online classes provide a reliable alternative to this problem. Students can clear their doubts at any given instance. All you have to do is drop in a mail or a message on the dashboard. Some students even approach an assignment expert for quick and professionally done projects/papers.
In this tough time of COVID-19, try investing time on learning and building knowledge.
Build positivity around you. Take up some interesting online courses, they are worth the investment.